The Traffic Bureau is a specialized unit within the Monterey Park Police Department. Its primary function is to enforce both traffic and parking laws and investigate traffic collisions.
Traffic Bureau Areas
The Traffic Bureau consists of the following areas:
- Traffic Investigation: The Traffic Bureau has a traffic investigator who is assigned to investigate driving under the influence, hit and run traffic collisions, and other traffic related crimes.
- Motor / Traffic Officer: There are three motor / traffic officers assigned to the Traffic Bureau. These officers work traffic enforcement, handle traffic collisions, and work special details within the city.
- Parking Enforcement: The Traffic Bureau has two community service officers, who are civilian employees assigned to enforce parking violations. The community service officers also assist officers in various activities such as storing / impounding vehicles and traffic control.
Street Sweeping Restrictions
Street sweeping restrictions are enforced Monday through Friday. Posted signs are enforced throughout the entire time stated on the signs. Street sweeping violations will not be enforced on the following listed holidays or the holiday's national day of observance. The following are observed holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Lincoln's Birthday
- Presidents' Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor day
- Columbus Day
- Veterans Day
- Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- New Year's Eve
Holiday RV Parking Relaxation
The City of Monterey Park will not be citing Recreational Vehicles (RVs) for violation of our ordinance against large vehicles being parked on the streets from December 23-January 2 in recognition that out of town family members visit during this period.
Parking Citation Payment Options
Payments can be made by mail, over the phone at 800-989-2058, or online. Payments are not accepted at city hall.
Mail in the fine amount in the envelope provided with the citation to the address below. Cash is not accepted.
- Monterey Park Police Department
C/O Citation Processing Center
P.O. BOX 10479
Newport Beach, CA 92658-0479
**Low Income Payment Plan** California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 40220 allows for installment payments of parking citations for qualifying low-income individuals who apply within 60 days from the issuance of a notice of parking violation, or within 10 days after an administrative hearing determination, whichever is later. Once a citation is enrolled in this program, it is no longer eligible for appeal pursuant to an Administrative Review or Hearing.
- Low Income Payment Plan Application (PDF)
There are various areas in the City of Monterey Park with permit parking requirements. These areas have specific permit parking signs posted.